Sunday, April 26, 2015

College Experience, Human Experience, Broad Experience

         I hope my college experience will blend smoothly with my life experience and my life experience will be better if it bleeds into my experience as a tiny, connected part of the universe. If I roll out of college and feel as purposeful, fulfilled, and complete as I do now, then I will have a great college experience. Although I have witnessed and experienced many impractical, ineffective models of education, I have had amazing experiences in my educational process. Experiential learning is a model of education that works for me. Rather than sitting in lecture halls while the sun shines outside, or interacting with a computer interface, I prefer to learn with active hands. For me, the mind and heart engage significantly more when I actively experience something than when it is told to me. For this reason, my college experience would be better if I had more hands on experience.

         I feel so fortunate to have the resources available to me at the University. This weekend I was able to go to the KSL radio recording studio to be on the "Greenhouse" show. Georgie Corkery, a fellow garden steward and I were able to daylight our mission and projects as "farmtrepreneuers". Feeling ownership of something enough to be able to speak publicly about it, to me, signifies something truly exemplary in education.



My college experience should feel like a hike in the mountains - invigorating, refreshing, exhausting, and fulfilling. And, much like reaching the trailhead at the end of the day, it should be a reward in and of itself- to be drawn on in days, weeks, months and years to follow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment